Personal tools

You are here: Home / About Our Library / History

Library History

The library from its early days to the present, showing how it has evolved to become an important and ever-changing part of our community.

Old LibraryThe first library in Ocheyedan was organized by the W.C.T.U., and opened January 12, 1912, in a room over the McGowan store (now the Corner Club building, pictured left). Books were donated by interested citizens. Sixteen years later, the library was turned over to the Unity Circle, which established the Ocheyedan Library Association.

In 1937, the town council agreed to provide some funding for the library, and it became the Ocheyedan Free Public Library.

When the town hall was completed in 1941, the library moved into the small downstairs room. More room was soon needed, and in 1950 the Town Hall Librarylibrary moved into the two rooms and hallway upstairs. In the 1960's, the library board began planning for a new building. Through the efforts of the board, a bond issue was passed in 1968, and along with funds from the Henry Hindt  estate and the Kinney Lindstrom Foundation, a new library was built. Dedication of the new building was held June 28, 1970.

A volunteer program was established during the 1980's, and continues today. Volunteers staff the circulation desk, shelve books and perform other duties.

The library has added new formats and services over the years to keep pace with changing technology. In addition to books, magazines and audio books, a large collection of videos and DVDs is available to patrons. The library has five public access computers with high speed internet access and a scanner for patrons' use. A copy machine and fax machine are also available for use by the public.